5 Steps to a Healthy Sex Life
- Use a condom every time you have sexual intercourse.
- Latex condoms offer the best protection against sexually transmitted infections for people having sexual intercourse.
- Talk with your partners before the heat of passion.
- Partners should care about each other and be interested in one another’s pleasure, comfort, and health.
- Be open. Let your partner know your health concerns and sexual health history, and encourage your partner to be open, too.
- Be direct. Talk about your sexual needs and expectations.
- Be persistent. Don’t let your partner remain silent on these issues.
- Keep medically fit.
- Have a checkup for sexually transmitted infections every year.
- Protect your immune system. Eat well, get enough rest, and limit your use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs.
- If you think you or your partner has a sexually transmitted infection…
- See a clinician for testing, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Find out if your partner(s) need to be examined and treated, too.
- Use all the medication that is prescribed-symptoms often disappear before an infection is cured.
- Do not take anyone else’s medicine, and do not share yours.
- Do not have sex until your infection is under control.
- Stay in charge.
- Alcohol and other drugs weaken good judgment and self-control. Don’t let them jeopardize your self-control.
Remember: Protecting yourself against sexually transmitted infections can reduce anxiety and make sex a lot more enjoyable. Reduce Your Risk…Use a Condom Every Time!